This year, there is already so much to be proud of as a Filipino American. The first Fil-Am Oscar winner, Robert Lopez, took home a best song trophy for Frozen’s “Let It Go.” In the 2014 winter Olympics, Michael Christian Martinez from the Philippines became the first figure skater ever to represent a Southeast Asian country in the games…
…but have you ever wondered why Filipinos and Fil-Ams aren’t more visible in mainstream entertainment and media despite all the passion and talent?
FilAm Creative and UCLA’s Samahang Pilipino, in collaboration with Pilipino Alumni Association of UCLA, present the 3rd Annual “Filipinos in Entertainment & Media: Creating Visibility, Establishing Individuality” panel discussion and networking event.
– Rembrandt Flores: Co-Founder of Entertainment Fusion Group (EFGPR)
– Grace Borrero Moss: Manager, Entertainment Diversity Initiatives, NBCUniversal
– Peter Gonzaga: Entertainment Journalist/Producer (Pacific Rim Video / Pacific Rim Photo Press)
– Marc Fajardo: Actor (www.marcfajardo.com)
– Stephen Dypiangco: Co-Founder National Film Society & Co-Creator Awesome Asian Bad Guys
– Jennifer Paz: Actor-Singer / Auraganix Music (www.jennifer-paz.com)
– Dante Basco: Actor/Producer (www.dantebasco.com)
Tinig Choral will also be singing the National Anthem!
Filipino professionals will address the issues of both misrepresentation and under-representation of Filipino Americans in the mainstream media. They will also shed light on the paths they took to find success in their careers.
Come to ask questions. Come to find motivation. Come for advice. Come find out about internships and projects.
Thursday, April 10, 2014
6:30 – 9:00 PM
Moore 100 at UCLA
Admission: Free and open to the public
RSVP at the Facebook event page.https://www.facebook.com/events/294963767322283/302802356538424/?notif_t=like
Conrad Contreras, Samahang Pilipino External Vice President, (831) 776-6029.